Welcome to (The Occasional) Photo Tip of the Day! Please also visit my main site jeffwignall.com. Text and photographs Copyright 2016 Jeff Wignall.



“The best way out is always through.”


Tuesday, May 31, 2011

It's Official: Best Graduation Book Gift of All Time

It's been a while since I've done any blatant and shameless self promotion here, but there's no time like the present. And speaking of presents: the super secret institute that meets to decide such things has leaked the fact that my book The NEW Joy of Digital Photography (Lark Photography Book) is widely considered the number one best graduation present among photography books. I'm honored to hear this and I had absolutely no influence over their decision. And ignore all rumors that I am the sole member of that super-secret secret intellectual society.

But since we're on the topic of Joy (and truly, who doesn't need more joy in their life?), I will say that it's easily the best general photography book that I've ever written. The book presumes no knowledge of photography or cameras, and the author skillfully manages to weave the wonder of digital cameras and technology into a classic book (oh, wait, there I got talking about myself in the third person again) on all aspects of photography: lighting, composition, camera handling, imagination, etc. And the book is illustrated by hundreds (probably more than 400, but I never actually counted) of photos by myself and some of the world's great shooters: Boyd Norton, Derek Doeffinger, Ralph Lee Hopkins (wait until you see his cool wildlife shots), Jim Zuckerman, Ron Niebrugge, Julia Cutter and many others.

OK, that's the end of the commercial :) I just thought I'd give myself a little spring promotion! Oh, and if you happen to live in a rural (or Native American) community that can't afford to buy books these days: I'll send them a copy for free. Just have the librarian contact me. Come to think of it, that goes for just about any library that wants a copy, as long as I can afford to send them.

4 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

HI Jeff, Which of your books would you most recommend for the technical side of digital picture taking. My son understands composition and the "artsy" side of foto taking,,,,he paints,,,but which book should I buy for him so that he can better understand the tech side of digital photography? Your help would be grately appreciated!!

Jeff Wignall said...

Hi Cynthia,

Probably the book that would help him most is my book Exposure Photo Workshop (Wiley Publishers); it's a very in-depth look at exposure and camera controls. I think he'd get a lot out of it. There is a new edition coming out in October, so if he can wait until then, great. But essential technical info is the same and he might be able to find the book at the library. Let me know if you want any more info about the book. On Amazon I believe you can use the "look inside" feature to view a few pages of the book. jeff

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Thanks Jeff.........took your advice...bought the Exposure , New Joy and Crash Course for my son...he says...your books are super!!! The good thing is,,,mom gets to read them too:)

Jeff Wignall said...

Oh, Cynthia! You're my hero :) Thanks so much for buying the books. Email me anytime if you have any questions about the books or anything photographic. :) jeff